Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Welcome to the Gluttony

I don't spend money on clothes (as anyone who knows me can attest). I don't buy electronic gadgets (anymore). I don't go to many concerts or movies. Rather, 95% of my disposable income goes to either food or wine.

A gourmand, so says Webster, is one who takes great pleasure in food and drink. This could describe you since, after all, you're reading a blog about food and wine. A glutton on the other hand is one who is devoted to eating and drinking to excess. This blog will strive to be gluttonous.

I'm also a lawyer, but my singular accomplishment as a lawyer has been passing the bar. I'm currently one of many recent law school graduates who has been deferred by my law firm. In the past few months, I’ve had an opportunity to explore (superficially) my love of food and wine.

For example, I worked the holiday season at my local Williams-Sonoma. I also watched Julie and Julia a couple of times, read Julia Child’s My Life in France (but refused to read anything by Julie Powell), and received Thomas Keller’s new Ad Hoc Cookbook for Christmas.

Then, a couple weeks ago, I decided to move back to Napa for five weeks. I first lived here for a few months prior to law school. I spent the majority of that time working at one winery while trying to visit all the rest. This time around, I want to focus a little more on the Valley's amazing culinary scene from its great restaurants to the amazing resources available for the home cook. This is not to say, of course, that wine will be ignored.

I want to do this for two reasons. First, I have A LOT of free time on my hands and cooking a meal and then writing about it can fill up a day pretty easily. Second, Top Chef. I was excited when Top Chef scheduled its most recent finale in Napa...until, I saw that the only places that they highlighted were Brix (a good and reliable, but not very exciting restaurant) and the tourist trap on rails known as the Napa Valley Wine Train.

So, what's with the name? Napa is one of my favorite places. I've lived here and worked here. My fiancee and I got engaged here and have shared countless memories here. Hence, the name of this blog -- The Oakville Grade -- which is a winding mountain road that crosses into Napa from Sonoma County and drops you off in the heart of the Valley's prime Cabernet Sauvignon vineyards.

Finally, why should you waste your time reading what I have to say? I have no clue. But, if you're interested in food, wine, cooking, visiting Napa, or remembering a past visit to the Valley, I hope you'll find it interesting.

**A couple of disclaimers: (1) I am not a good cook, but I hope to become a better one before I leave (mainly because I can't afford to eat out very often) and I hope my mistakes will be helpful (and possibly amusing). (2) I take no responsibility for anything I may or may not write on this blog after a few glasses of wine.

4 comments:

  1. As a fellow lover of food and wine and occasional gluttony I look forward to keeping up with your blog! Speaking of Top Chef, I made a reservation for the four of us at Volt's table 21 (for spring 2011...it is booked that far out!)

    Where are you eating this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracy! Wow...are they really accepting reservations 13 months out? That's crazy.

    I think I've decided to avoid restaurants for the most part on the weekends, because they get a lot busier than during the week. So, weekends will be dedicated to cooking. I'm trying out two recipes this weekend, both of which will be upcoming posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog should strive to be honest. You might want to take down the following sentence: "I don't buy electronic gadgets (anymore)." Otherwise, I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Khang. What is this, "I don't go to concerts" nonsense. Where's the fact checker?

    ReplyDelete