Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Simple Pleasures (an ongoing series): Oakville Grocery Animal Crackers


Even "simple" treats are taken to another level in Napa, and often with a price at another level too. For example, a cheeseburger at the high-end steakhouse Press will run you $18 (of course it's made with Kobe beef too). Still, I often find that such recognizable foods, elevated even one degree, are some of the most enjoyable.

There are, however, some inexpensive options out there and one of my favorites is the animal crackers at Oakville Grocery. The Oakville Grocery is a great spot to grab a coffee before your first tasting, or a sandwich and other picnic items for lunch. But, for my money, the best item in the store is a small bag of animal crackers. At about $1.25, they are the best animal crackers I've ever had. They are crisp, lemony, and (this is what makes them great) have a small bit of salt which highlights both the lemon and mild sweetness of the "cracker." I love them.

I used to keep a bag of them in my locker at Cakebread to snack on during breaks. And, I even recommended them as a wine pairing on a tour at the winery when a guest asked me what went well with a Cakebread chardonnay. My co-workers were skeptical, but they became believers later that evening as we were having an after-work glass of wine with some Oakville Grocery animal crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment