Monday, January 18, 2010

The Week Ahead in Napa


The rain has subsided just long enough to take my housemate's dachshund, Romeo, for a walk. But, as is often the case this time of year in Napa, the week's forecast is filled with cloudy skies and rain.

Looking ahead to my first full week in wine country, I've tried to create something of an agenda for eating out, cooking, and wine tasting. As a general rule, I'll do most of my cooking during the weekends, since restaurants will be more crowded. So, during the week, be ready for more restaurant and winery reviews and notes.

I haven't mapped out the entire week, but on the heels of my first cooking projects this past weekend (posts forthcoming), I want to visit two of my favorite restaurants, both of which serve French bistro fare, Angele and Bouchon. Depending on what pops up on Ad Hoc's menu this week (the restaurant's four-course American influenced menu changes daily), I might make my first visit to Thomas Keller's most casual restaurant. I especially want to try their fried chicken, after my dad used their kit (sold at Williams-Sonoma) to make a batch a couple weeks ago. A lunch-time visit to my favorite Napa Valley eatery, Taylor's Automatic Refresher, is also highly likely.

As for wineries, I'm planning on visiting my old place of employment, Cakebread Cellars, (For full disclosure, I'm now a wine club member, which has the benefit of free tastings.), as well as the consistent and reliable Silverado Vineyards. I'm also tempted to visit one of the Valley's sparkling-wine producers simply to toast the Dallas Cowboys's loss this weekend, but I'll probably hold off.

2 comments:

  1. If you do all these things, my visit will basically be a repeat of this week...not that that would be a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...don't worry. I got to Taylor's about once a week, and have yet to stop by and see my friends at Cakebread. As for celebrating the Cowboys loss, well...we can do that until the 2010 pre-season starts.

    ReplyDelete